There are many options for backing up your WordPress website. My personal favorite and the featured plugin I’m highlighting today is BackupBuddy.
Before I jump in I want to point out that backups are extremely important for your WordPress website. Yes your hosting may provide some type of backup, so I’d like to preface this blog by telling you that I’m very Type A when it comes to backups.
I backup on an external hard drive and cloud backup drive every day multiple times a day. So yes while your hosting company may have some type of backup I prefer one that I can download myself. I want flexibility to bring my site back up if needed without waiting on customer support, or hoping they haven’t had problems with finding the backup (both real stories of my clients).
Why I recommend BackupBuddy:
- It backups your complete WordPress site (Database, Plugins, Themes, Uploads, etc) into one zip file.
- You can send your backups off site on cloud servers like Google Drive or Dropbox.
- You can schedule backups so that you don’t have to remember to do them.
- It’s fairly easy for you (or your web designer) to bring your site backup from the zip file in case of a problem with an update.
- You can use it to easily migrate your site to a new domain or new hosting company.
There are other options for backing up your site and I’ll be featuring other backup options but BackupBuddy is still my #1 favorite. I’ve used this premium plugin for 7 years!
Reminder I recommend backing up your website at a minimum of once per month and EVERY time before you do WordPress, Theme or Plugin updates.
And if you are a crazy backer upper like me you may also save your BackupBuddy zip file to your external hard drive and cloud storage!
WordPress Web Designer
Find me on Facebook
*Important disclaimer: For some of links on our website we receive a referral fee for referring you to these products/services. However we only post resources that we have extensive personal experience with and believe will be valuable to you!